VEGF is vascular endothelial growth factor. Why the possible link to sexual function? Well these things usually get named after the first thing they are found to do – but they can do lots of things. VEGF interacts with serotonin which got named for the discovery of its role in the vascular system, but in fact serotonin is more common in the gut and skin and other systems, and VEGF may be also and may interact with serotonin in these others systems as well.
- VEGF is expressed and released by endothelial cells
- VEGF is a treatment target in cases of erectile dysfunction with vascular causes
- VEGF is a target for therapeutic intervention in depression
- Overexpression of VEGF is linked to cancer
- SSRIs and SNRIs increase VEGF expression in the hippocampus
- Finasteride inhibits angiogenesis and VEGF expression
- Retinoids inhibit VEGF/VPF production by normal human keratinocytes
- Thalidomide inhibits angiogenesis and VEGF
- The two major isoforms of the p63 gene exert opposite effects on the VEGF gene expression
See article on interaction between Kisspeptin and VEGF and see the Kisspeptin page for links between this and penile and clitoral size.