raised of $100,000 target by
67 supporters in 15 countries
(See campaign statistics)
We need your support to raise $100,000 as a Prize for a cure of one of the most debilitating side effects of modern medical treatments – the close to permanent obliteration of normal sexual functioning stemming from treatment with antidepressants, finasteride (Propecia) or isotretinoin (Accutane).
Most people are aware that antidepressants can cause sexual side effects but almost no-one knows these can endure permanently after treatment stops – sometimes only emerging after treatment stops. This a problem facing tens of thousands of people with:
- Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD)
- Post-Finasteride Syndrome (PFS)
- Post-Retinoid Sexual Dysfunction (PRSD)
Finasteride is used in younger men for the treatment of male-pattern baldness. Isotretinoin is a retinoid used in the treatment of acne.
These conditions lead to suicide, relationship and family break-up, job loss and lead to a lot of wasted money taking risks on dangerous options held out as cures. At present there is almost no support for those affected.
The problems affect both men and women and cause genital numbness, pleasureless or weak orgasm, impotence, loss of sex drive and other difficulties. They can start after only a few days exposure to these medications and in some cases persist for decades.
We want to change this.
On September 12, 2017, we launched our campaign to raise $100,000 for a Prize which will be offered to anyone who finds a cure for PSSD, PFS or PRSD. This could be a doctor, a scientist, a drug company, a member of the public – anyone.
RxISK was the first group to report on enduring sexual dysfunction after treatment with isotretinoin, in the peer-reviewed medical literature. See the full paper – 120 Cases of Enduring Sexual Dysfunction Following Treatment.
We were aware of common features between PSSD, PFS and PRSD from the beginning, and we have a further paper in press that will make this clearer.
Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction
Symptoms, diagnosis, published research and more.
Read personal stories
Our blog contains several personal stories from those affected by the conditions.
- Global Impact, October 16, 2017.
- Relationships, October 9, 2017. Letters have been sent to several sexual health groups, and we consider some of the relationship issues facing those with PSSD, PFS and PRSD.
- No Nos, October 4, 2017. We have written to the Chairs and CEOs of all major pharmaceutical companies.
- The Golden Rule, September 26, 2017
- How You Can Help, September 18, 2017. As well as your donations, we need your help to spread awareness of the problem and our campaign.
- Launching the RxISK Prize, September 12, 2017. To learn more about the conditions and prospects for a cure, read the full background to our campaign and the comments from others.
Help us to make a difference
We try to email everyone who donates. If you have donated and not been contacted, please let us know so we can establish where in the system your donation is.